Sunday, March 09, 2008

i HEART the french

i HEART the french
Jules Bonnot
Les Brigades du Tigre
(The Brigades of the Tiger)


Yet another reason for me to love the French.

French film makers never fail to nail me to a trance-like state with movies that feed my delicate soul with intriguing story lines blended with innovative but equally incredible imagery. They never cease to explore new concepts in visual execution. As a whole, subtle ideas they suggest elicit intriguing thoughts for humanity. Among my favorites are 'Irreversible', 'Amelie,' and 'L'appartement' (the original version of Hollywood's 'Wicker Park').

This time, I was captivated by a scene in 'Les Brigades du Tigre'. Jules Bonnot, a famous 'anarchist' leader who wants to topple the corrupt monarch from power, was cornered by the Tiger Brigades' arrest operation. Alone in his hideout, he fought back and fought hard for his life until he caught a glimpse of his queen lover through his window. He was suddenly weakened at the sight of her. He yielded from countering the attacks and looked for a paper and a pen. Struggling to live for one moment more, with blood spurting from gunshots that penetrated his body, he wrote:

"I am a famous man, my name is known around the world.
And my renown must be filled with envy
all those who try so hard to get themselves noticed.

I didn't want much,
just to walk with her by the Rhone in the moonlight.
I have always dreamt of such happiness,
snatched from me each time.

I had to survive but
Since your inane and criminal society prevents that, too bad for it.
Too bad for you."

I heart the French.



1 comment:

ET said...

ako rin! bon jour!

french people got that sophisticated style... =)