Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Saved by the “Shawshank Redemption”



I was sick for a whole weekend, confined to my bed and couldn’t move around much so I decided to salvage myself from boredom by watching films from a Morgan Freeman DVD collection. I imagined myself seeing detective-type stories like “Seven” (with Brad Pitt) and “Along came a Spider,” which are actually leisurely types of films that thrill me without getting exhausted on a lazy night.


But then, I came across an old film, starring Morgan Freeman and Tim Robins, directed by Darabont, and was produced in 1999. It was, I thought, a detective-type at first until I got the hang of it and ended it, landing into my list of all-time-favorite movies.


Shawshank Redemption is a prison drama based on Stephen King’s novella entitled “Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption." It didn’t win any award in the Oscars but it gained recognition through time, like a classic that was not properly appreciated in its time.


Shawshank Redemption was set in the 1950s, the time of pin-up posters. Rita Hayworth was one of the most popular pin-up girls during that time. These posters, together with a small rock hammer, became accomplices to Defrenes’ (Tim Robins) ultimate goal of escaping.


Dufresne, a rich banker, landed on Shawshank (the prison) after he was convicted of killing his unfaithful wife. He found a friend in Red (Morgan Freeman), the narrator, who has the ability to smuggle contrabands into the prison.



While in prison, Defresne’s made a number of innovations for the inmates. He was able to establish a library expansion that functioned and teach the inmates how to read and write. As a banker, he also gained the trust of prison guards, including the warden, to settle their tax problems.





No comments: